Data Privacy Notice
Humane Education Society (Charity No. 1159571)
- Your personal data – what is it?
Personal data relates to a living individual who can be identified from that data. Identification can be by the information alone or in conjunction with any other information in the data controller’s possession or likely to come into such possession. The processing of personal data is governed by the General Data Protection Regulation (the GDPR).
- Who are we?
The Humane Education Society (HES) is the data controller (contact details below). This means it decides how your personal data is processed and for what purposes.
- How do we process your personal data?
HES complies with its obligations under the GDPR by keeping personal data up to date; by storing and destroying it securely; by not collection or retaining excessive amounts of data; by protecting personal data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access and disclosure and by ensuring that appropriate technical measures are in place to protect personal data.
We may use your personal data for one or more of the following purposes:
- To enable us to administer all activities carried out by the Animal Sanctuary, Wilmslow
- To manage our employees and volunteers
- To administer membership records
- To maintain our own accounts and records (including the processing of gift aid applications)
- To fundraise and promote the interests of the charity
- To inform you of news, events and activities relevant to the charity
- What is the legal basis for processing your personal data?
- Explicit consent of the data subject so that HES can administer your donations (including the processing of gift aid applications), manage your volunteering at the Animal Sanctuary, and keep you informed about news, events and activities relevant to the charity
- For carrying out obligations under employment, social security or social protection law, or a collective agreement
- Sharing your personal data
Your personal data will be treated as strictly confidential and will only be shared with other staff or volunteers of HES for purposes connected with the charity. We will only share your data with third parties outside of HES with your consent.
- How long do we keep your personal data?
We keep your data for no longer than reasonably necessary and we retain your data for the following purposes only and use the following criteria to determine how long to retain your personal data:
- We retain data relevant to administering the finances of HES (including standing order forms and gift aid declarations) for seven years after the last calendar year to which they relate in case of financial audit
- We keep data relating to the acceptance and/or rehoming of an animal for three years after the end of the relevant calendar year in order to safeguard the wellbeing of the animal
- We retain data relating to fostering for as long as the animal is being fostered in order to safeguard the wellbeing of the animal
- We keep data relating to members until advised that they no longer wish to be a member
- We retain data regarding employees, volunteers and placements for five years after the end of the calendar year in which the employment/volunteering/placement ceased in the event of any complaints or reference requests
- We keep data for disseminating news of the charity until consent is withdrawn
- Your rights and your personal data
Unless subject to an exemption under the GDPR, you have the following rights with respect to your personal data:
- The right to request a copy of your personal data which HES holds about you
- The right to request that HES corrects any personal data if it is found to be inaccurate or out of date
- The right to request your personal data is erased where it is no longer necessary for HES to retain such data
- The right to withdraw your consent to the processing at any time
- The right, where there is a dispute in relation to the accuracy or processing of your personal data, to request a restriction is placed on further processing
- The right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office
- Further processing
If we should wish to use your personal data for a new purpose, not covered by this Data Protection Notice, we will provide you with a new notice explaining this new use prior to commencing the processing and setting out the relevant purposes and processing conditions. Where and whenever necessary, we will seek your prior consent to the new processing.
- Contact details
To exercise all relevant rights, queries or complaints please in the first instance contact the HES Secretary at The Animal Sanctuary, Newgate, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5LN.
You can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office on 0303 123 1113 or via email https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/email/ or at the Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF.